Clean and safe drinking water is a fundamental necessity for all, but how we purify it can have unintended health consequences. A recent study at SSG Hospital revealed that relying on reverse osmosis (RO) water systems may put you at risk of vitamin B12 deficiency. This study is the second study in recent times linking reverse osmosis water consumption with vitamin B12 deficiency. These studies highlight the importance of seeking alternative water treatment technologies, such as Atla, for better health and well-being.
Understanding the RO Water Risk
The study conducted by Dr. Alpesh Makwana and a team of dedicated physicians sheds light on the potential dangers of RO water consumption. The research found that those who consume RO-purified water are 3.61 times more likely to suffer from vitamin B12 deficiency. Here's why:
1. Removal of Essential Nutrients: RO systems are incredibly effective at removing impurities from water, but they also eliminate essential minerals, including cobalt, a critical component of vitamin B12. This lack of cobalt after reverse osmosis treatment may directly contribute to B12 deficiency.
2. Reduced Absorption: The study also notes that RO water's low mineral content can lead to chronic atrophic gastritis, a condition that reduces the absorption of vitamin B12 available in your diet. This double impact on B12 levels can be detrimental to your health.
3. Microorganism Removal: Additionally, RO systems remove microorganisms responsible for the endogenous production of vitamin B12, either directly or indirectly. Over time, consistent consumption of RO water increases the likelihood of developing vitamin B12 deficiency.
The Consequences of B12 Deficiency
Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, is indispensable for various bodily functions. It plays a crucial role in the production of red blood cells, DNA synthesis, and nerve function. A deficiency in this essential nutrient can have several adverse effects, including:
- extreme tiredness
- a lack of energy
- pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- a sore and red tongue
- mouth ulcers
- muscle weakness
- disturbed vision
- psychological problems, which may include depression and confusion
- problems with memory, understanding, and judgement
Choosing Health: Seek Alternative Water Treatment Technologies
Given the potential risks associated with RO water consumption, exploring alternative water treatment technologies that provide clean, safe water without compromising essential nutrients is wise. One such innovative solution is the Atla Water System.
Why Choose Atla?
Atla utilizes advanced purification technology that maintains essential minerals in your water while effectively removing contaminants. Here's why it's a smart choice for your health:
Mineral Retention: Atla preserves the minerals in your water, ensuring you receive the full spectrum of nutrients necessary for your well-being, including vitamin B12 absorption.
Clean Water: Atla's cutting-edge purification process guarantees clean and safe drinking water without the potential adverse health effects of RO systems.
Eco-Friendly: Atla is committed to sustainability, minimizing waste, and reducing environmental impact, making it a responsible choice for your home.
Best-tasting: Atla is the only under-sink filter with technology that imbues water with a lighter, more vibrant mouthfeel. It tastes like premium spring water.
In conclusion, your choice of water purification technology can significantly impact your health. While RO systems excel at removing impurities, they may inadvertently harm your nutrient balance. To ensure your well-being and avoid the risks of vitamin B12 deficiency, consider alternatives like Atla that offer the best of both worlds: clean, safe water and essential nutrients.
Prioritize your health by choosing Atla – water that nourishes your body and safeguards your vitality.